Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Old Enough for Disney?

When discussing the right time to take kids to Disney World for the first time, I often hear "I want them to be old enough to remember it". I don't prescribe to that line of thinking. This summer I entered a contest and tried to describe why I think taking little ones to Disney is a great idea. Here's that entry...

Last spring I planned a trip for my wife and 2-year-old daughter to Walt Disney World. I got plenty of "advice" leading up to the trip on how my daughter was too young and wouldn't remember anything. While that may be true, nothing could ever compare to the memories I'll carry with me - experiencing The Magic through her young eyes.


Cinderella was my daughter's favorite movie then, and I could almost feel her eye's bulge out of her head as she spied The Castle for the first time. While we explored the mosaics under The Castle and rode the carousel, nothing prepared me for what happened when we dined with Cinderella at 1900 Park Fare that first night. It was a while before Cinderella made our way to us, and we watched with eager anticipation as she visited with other diners and posed for pictures. It was truly hard to eat our meal. When our turn came to meet Cinderella, it wasn't my daughter's silence that surprised me the most - it was my wife's! My wife was wide-eyed with her jaw hanging open (I so wished that Mary Poppins was there to say "Close you're mouth Miss, we are not a cod fish"). Anyway, to try and help break the awe of silence - I attempted to make smalltalk with Cinderella and asked if she was wearing the glass slippers? Even though I had seen the movie about 100 times, she proceeded to patiently explain how one slipper had broken and she could no longer wear them anymore. Oh the horror! Now I was red faced and wanted to crawl under the table. A quick picture and autograph, then Cinderella was on her way. We looked at each other and giggled at how we had acted.

Over the course of the week, we experienced (and fell in love with) all the parks. We especially enjoyed the Beauty and the Beast Show at Hollywood Studios, playing in the jumping fountains outside the Imagination pavilion in Epcot, and experiencing the Animal Kingdom's Festival of the Lion King. In addition, we probably rode (and re-ride and re-ride) both Dumbo and It's a Small World about a dozen times each.

My favorite memories though, are of our last day. We knew we had just spent a most wonderful week together - one that would be difficult to ever duplicate. It was a very tender morning in the Magic Kingdom. We started with a final spin on our Fantasyland favorites (which was just about everything). On our way toward the front of the park, my daughter spotted Winnie the Pooh (who we had not seen yet that week). She looked up at me and said "Daddy, I'd really like to meet him" - so of course we got in line. She had the patience of an angel - pen and autograph book in hand - never lifting her gaze from Pooh for the 10 minutes we waited. She approached him gingerly, without my hand, and gave him a big hug. I have a hard time expressing the emotions I felt as I watched my little girl grow up - just a little - in that very moment. Our final moments in The Kingdom were spent at the foot of Main Street sharing some popcorn and ice cream as we watched other families excitedly begin their vacations.

After eighteen months, my daughter still talks about how she met Pooh, and we laugh about our starstruck experience with Cinderella. Recently as we've been talking about and planning our next visit, I'll catch my daughter humming the Small World theme. When I ask her what she's doing, she replies, "Just thinking about Disney World, Dad". I cannot thank Disney enough for giving me these wonderful memories of love, tenderness, and fun with those closest to me - even if my daughter doesn't remember any of it.

No comments: